Friday, October 23, 2009

More Laughs (and a few tears)

Tonight I got a call from Chris - who should have been home from work by that time. Guess what?!? His car broke down on his way home from work. As I was backing out of the driveway to go pick him up, my awesome neighbor was just walking toward our house with a plate of cookies for us! I told her where we were headed. I then added, "What would a week be like without one of our cars breaking down?" Her response was, "boring."

So, we make it to where Chris was - he was able to limp his vehicle into a parking lot. There really wasn't much we could do but leave it there and head home and decide what to do. Since it was dinner time, and since I had been taking care of a sick Colt and nursing my own migraine the entire day, we didn't have any dinner prepared at home. We decided to eat out. Chris asked, "McDonald's or Wendy's?" Carena and Colt in unison yelled, "Wendy's" while Jonathan yelled "McDonald's." Chris replied, "Wendy's it is!" to which Jonathan started sobbing. SOBBING. Chris then said to Jonathan, "I know how you feel Jonathan, my car just broke down and I might have to start riding a bike to work!" Jonathan yelled at Chris, "I KNOW!" He then continued to sob and tell us how he wanted to go to McDonald's. Ahh, to have the problems of a three year-old - when the biggest disappointment of your day is that you have to go to Wendy's instead of McDonald's, when you have to get a Frosty instead of a milkshake, and you couldn't care less if someone has to ride a bike into work. And what is work anyway?

I wonder why I'm not as upset as I think I should be about another broken down vehicle. Maybe I'm just used to it. Really, it's been at least every other week that we only have one vehicle working. I'm quite grateful that the times that the vehicles have broken down, the kids weren't with us and that BOTH cars haven't died at the same time.

3 comments:

Cook Zoo said...

Oh man, you know life's been rough when all you can do is shrug your shoulders and say "just another day!" LOL. I hope you get it up and running soon!!

To have the troubles of a child. Sigh. Maybe Chris should've started SOBBING too! LOL!

Deb said...

1. So sorry about all the car misfortunes. I seem to be more calm when things get really bad too, because there's nothing other to do than throw your hands in the air and say, "whateva." How far does Chris have to drive to go to work? Ian LOVES LOVES LOVES riding his bike to work and did it all the time, even in the summer. But he had a gym across the street from work that he could shower in and then walk across the street sweat free. There's no gym across the street from his new job, so he probably won't be riding to work any more.

2. Smith and I enjoyed watching the laughing babies together. He wants to try the paper ripping thing with June now.

3. Call me crazy but I can't wait to move somewhere that gets cold in the winter. There's a lot of rain in OK, and I'm so excited to wear a sweater (for an entire day) and shoes with socks, and even a hat here and there. Yay cold weather!!! -Not to rub it in or anything. Sorry.

mad white woman said...

I can't decide if my eyes are wet because I'm laughing with you or crying for you. I wish I could help.

I just had a thought... is it a coincidence that you want it to rain at the same time Chris might be biking to work?