Thursday, October 8, 2009

When is Enough Enough?

http://www.autocity.com/latam/reportajes/img/03-sedona-hero.jpg

It seems that the past year - and especially the past few months - it's been one thing after another with our minivan. Little things, big things, every thing, it seems. I had hoped to be happy in this mini van for the full 10 years that I expected to get out of it. But at about year 5 it started going down hill and it's been gaining speed.

The newest problems are 1) the fuel pressure regulator - it's leaking and I've been advised not to drive it until it gets fixed, cuz you know - leaking gas + spark = KABOOM! Thankfully this isn't a super expensive fix (however, they can't get the part until Tuesday). But then, there is 2) both front bearings and hubs need to be replaced. That fix alone is $1,000. That makes me want to barf.

I just don't know if we should just give up or get it fixed. The cost of repairs is super high and the value of the vehicle is super low. When is enough enough? And how do we survive with only one car? I know people do it, but . . . how?

pic from here (I don't know why the link says "Sedona hero" - ours is more like a Sedona villian: http://www.autocity.com/latam/reportajes/img/03-sedona-hero.jpg

UPDATE: We've got our fingers crossed that the hubs and bearings will be covered under the 10 yr/100,000 mile warranty. We've talked to 4 different Kia places - who pretty much gave us different and conflicting information as to whether it's covered or not (and what would qualify it to be covered). We talked to Kia directly who said that it is covered. I'm not holding my breath though. It's now at a Kia place in Phoenix (there's nothing like going through Phoenix highway traffic when you're worried sick your car is going to fall apart at any moment). We'll get the verdict on Friday.

4 comments:

Deb said...

Oh that's a tough one. We've been having problems with our van lately too. In fact I've been car-less the past couple days while ours is getting fixed. It's costing us $545. We've spent a little over a thousand on it the past month or so. And I'm pretty sure there is still more that needs to be done with it. Car problems are the WORST. Car and dental; I think it's a tie between the two.

Anyways good luck. What kind of van is it?

Amy from Our Dish said...

OH NO!!! I'm so sorry to hear that. I hate when I can't trust my car. That's an awful feeling of doom.

We have the same kind of van, ya know.... I wonder how far away "year 5" is for us? (Btw, I really do like my car!)

Julie said...

Car trouble is the worst!!!! Can I help you in any way? Please call ME (your good ol' VTer) if you need me to pick up a kid somewhere is get something at the store of even if you want to take my care somewhere (I'm serious!). I'd love to help.

Cook Zoo said...

Egads. That's worse than computer problems. So what's the latest? Did the warranty cover it? I hope so!!!!