
I was watching a little tv today and one scene showed a person sitting in their car while it was raining out. They had their windshield wipers going.
That got me thinking about the last time I used MY windshield wipers - which I can't remember, because it's been a LONG time.
That makes me sad.
Weather really affects me. And Arizona's lack of weather (I think Arizona weathermen have the easiest job on the planet) brings me down. Day in and day out of blue skies and warm weather. Sounds like heaven to some (especially during the bitter cold) but to me it's just hard.
I was talking to a friend the other day about Halloween and she mentioned how much she loves it. I will probably offend many when I admit that I kinda hate Halloween. I used to love it, though. Halloween had been synonymous with autumn, the turning of the weather, leaves of colorful brilliance, the anticipation of the first snow-fall, a gloomy day here and there, and cold rains. Halloween meant change. Halloween meant autumn. All it took was to step outside and feel the crunch of the fallen leaves, to feel the crispness in the air.
Now I hate it . . . because, although we do get a bit of a reprieve from the overwhelming heat, there is no crispness, no crunchy leaves, no smell of burning leaves. I can't just step outside and FEEL the change, feel the autumn - I have to purchase it.
I went to Hobby Lobby the other day and bought a little pumpkin sign to hang on our front door. We needed to announce to the world that AUTUMN was here! And the only way to do that was with a sign that said, "Happy Fall!" I walked the aisles of Hobby Lobby just feeling like it was the biggest sham . . . purchasing things to feel in the spirit of a season. It felt so wrong to me. To me, autumn is not about the cutesy little signs and the fake pumpkins (because the real ones rot and dry up in like a day in this heat). It's about the nature, which is so lacking in my little world.
I wonder if I had been better off not knowing and loving nature like I do. There is that age-old saying, "It is better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all." Really? Great little saying, but the torture of having loved and then losing and living without really puts a damper on life.
There's really no purpose to this post, only a bit of venting and a wish that my windshield wipers will one day be used.

http://maqtanim.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/rainy_day.jpg

http://blog3ponto0.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/rainyday.jpg
2 comments:
OK I'm coming over right now to throw a cup of water on your windshield...
Dude. You need a Fall retreat to the Hundred Acre Woods too.
Can I come with you?
Post a Comment