Tuesday, October 13, 2009

At Least We're On The Same Page

Before I take the kids out to various places, I always debrief them on how I expect them to act at said place. For instance, if we're going out to eat, I remind them before we get there how to act at a restaurant: polite, quiet, "please" and "thank you," sit in your chair and eat your meal, no fussing/yelling, etc. I will then ask them, "So, how do we act at a restaurant?" To which they will summarize what I just told them. I do this for pretty much wherever we go . . . restaurants, church, grocery shopping . . . and coupled with that a warning that if they don't behave, that there will be consequences (having to sit with mom or dad in the car while everyone else finishes their meals or standing in the corner).

I do this so that we are very clear about what behavior is expected.

Yesterday was Colt's karate. Before we went I told Jonathan how he was to act while we were there watching Colt. I told him he was to either sit on the floor, my lap, or on the bench, he was to be quiet, if he needed to talk he was to whisper. He was not to fuss or be loud. No running around.

I then asked Jonathan, "how do we act at karate class?"

His reply: "do nothing!"

I looked at him, he looked at me. He was so right! I'm so glad we're on the same page.

(I do allow him to bring a car or a small quiet toy to play with . . . so please don't think I'm horrible!)

5 comments:

Amy from Our Dish said...

I was totally thinking you were horrible......

Julie said...

So that's why your kids are so awesome. . .

Deb said...

I do that prep talk too and Smith started getting irratated at me when I gave the "talk." So I had to start tricking him and telling him that we needed to teach Adelaide and June how to behave since they were still little.

Although when we get to our destination my kids get so excited half of the information leaves their brain.

Cook Zoo said...

LOL! You got it kid. Do nothing!!

You know, I used to do that all the time with my kids and I guess I tricked myself into thinking I didn't need to anymore because I stopped. Their behavior is far less reliable than it used to be, but I've tried it a few times here lately and it still works. I'm going to be like you and do it everywhere.

You're an awesome mom. :)

Emily said...

Did you add: "And there will be no smiling and definitely no happy thoughts."

At least your kids obey. We do the same thing, but they seem to get amnesia the second they walk into the situation. Or is the correct term: Selective hearing.