I've been utilizing the heck out of my crockpot lately. It's an absolute gem! Here's why I love it so much:
1. I am able to make dinner at a more convenient time. I HATE making dinner in the late afternoon to have it ready by 5:30. Afternoons are just hard for me. I'm usually exhausted. The kids have just gotten home from school. It's just chaos - and chaos overwhelms me. Sometimes I just throw my hands up in the air and declare, "Let's go out to eat!" And such a declaration is usually costly.
So, instead, I prepare dinner in the morning! Carena and Colt are off at school. Jonathan is happy eating breakfast or just waking up and I feel serene. Perfect time to make dinner!
2. Cooking in the crockpot means I'm not heating my entire house as I would with using the oven or stovetop. So, we're more comfortable - temperature wise.
3. I don't think I've ever made a crockpot meal that has failed. They always turn out delicious!
This week I've made four crockpot meals. I thought I'd share the recipes with you!
~ Pork and Sauerkraut - (if you're not a fan of sauerkraut, that's ok - but it makes for a really yummy juicy flavorful pork roast - even if you don't eat the sauerkraut)
1 small pork roast
1 jar sauerkraut (I love Klaussen brand)
Place roast in crock pot. Cover with sauerkraut. Cover. Cook on low for 8 hours. To make this dish even more phenomenal, you can add cut up apples and/or potatoes. Total comfort food and a great way to kick off autumn!
~ Meatball Stew
1 large onion cut into chunks
4 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
4 medium carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
20 meatballs (make your own or use the frozen ones)
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 cup water
1 1/2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon basil leaves
Place vegetables in crockpot. Top with meatballs. In a small bowl, mix ketchup, water, vinegar and basil leaves. Pour over meatballs. Cover. Cook on high for 4-5 hours or until veggies are tender.
~ Hawaiian Barbeque
Any type of meat (I usually use a pork roast, chicken or beef roast)
1 bottle of BBQ sauce (my favorite is KC Masterpiece)
1 can either crushed pineapple (undrained) or chunk pineapple (undrained).
Place meat in crockpot. In separate bowl, combine pineapple and BBQ sauce. Pour over meat. Cover. Cook on low for 6-8 hours. Serve over rice.
~ Crockpot Roasted Chicken
1 whole chicken
2 TBS butter
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp basil leaves
1 tsp sage
1 tsp parsley
1 tsp salt and pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
any other herbs you can think of
1 large onion cut into chunks
Really, use any herbs you want at any ratio that you want. I just make it up depending on what we have and what looks/sounds good!
(Remove any giblets from chicken)
Rub chicken with butter. In separate bowl, combine your herbs. Sprinkle herbs over buttered chicken. Place onion chunks in bottom of crockpot. Place butter and herbed chicken in crockpot. Cover. Cook on low for 10 hours. It should come out so tender and just falling off the bone. (I like this recipe because you can reserve the juices for gravy or for chicken stock for soup later!).
6 years ago
9 comments:
I am doing a crockpot meal tonight. It is similar to your last one. I love me crockpot too. We have one running car right now so picking everyone up from everything leaves me beat at the end of the day!
I love the crockpot but I never had good recipes for it. I'll have to give these a try. I do the Hawaiian BBQ one and I love it!
Mmmmm MORE MORE! Keem em coming!
This just shows what a terrible cook I am, because I have messed up plenty a crock pot meal in my time.
Plus when my crock pot is plugged in you can feel the heat radiating off of it from 10 steps away. Is something wrong with my crockpot? I feel like it makes my kitchen hotter.
I do however agree that cooking at the end of the day is EXAHAUSTING. Dinner is my least favorite meal because
1. You have to prepare it at the end of the day when worn out and tired.
and
2. It's the biggest meal that takes the most work and makes the most mess.
I do also try to prepare as much of the meal as I can during the day so there is only a little left to do at night. But I still hate cooking dinner!
Wow. that was a really long comment.
I LOVE your recipes!!!! You rock! I'm going to try the pork roast tomorrow - we don't have sauerkraut but we have apples. Do you think I should add the apples later or still at the beginning?
Everytime I use my crockpot (twice this week) I think: wow! this is the greatest invention ever.
I'm officially hungry. I managed to TOTALLY botch my Sunday dinner, from a crock pot thank you very much, so you have officially achieved the "I-am-awesome" award for the year. Hang that baby with pride!!!
Have you ever served your hawaiian BBQ with chow mein noodles? That was something that popped into my head while I was reading that one.........
Reading this made me soooo hungry! You sound like a great cook. I think I will try the chicken recipe this week. I use my crock pot the most on Sundays because we have 1:00 church and it is so great to come home to. I think I feel motivated to try it more after reading this though. It is a lot easier to do when the kids are gone in the a.m. too. Thanks for the recipe ideas!:)
Thank you...Thank you...Thank you!!! I always need more recipes.
Post a Comment