Wednesday, August 12, 2009

That Great and Terrible Day

First day of school. The kids were pretty excited. Colt managed to wake up and be cheerful first thing! Carena woke up before her alarm. They were rarin' to go. For breakfast we had belgium/belgian waffles and smoothies. We read a few pages in a new book - that will be the book we'll work on each morning during breakfast. I have great memories of my mom reading a chapter or two in a book each morning. It was a really great way to start the day.

So, with backpacks packed and lunches in hand, the kids headed off. Chris drove them to school. I waved from the front door. Totally choked up.

For them, it's a great day. For me, it's a terrible day.

Although, last night I did gain some perspective on it all as Chris was giving Jonathan a blessing (he does this each year before the school year starts). In the blessing, he mentioned that now Jonathan and I would have some time to do things together that we would not normally be able to do. That lifted my spirits. Two of my best friends are gone for the majority of the day, but I still have one best friend to buddy around with! We'll make the most of it. I signed us up for a pottery class and a t-ball class.

But, Jonathan knows things are different already. He won't let me out of his sight. If I go into another room, I'll hear, quite frantically, "Mama, where are you?!"

It's hard to say goodbye to such a phenomenal summer, but I guess a new chapter must be forged. We'll survive, but I'll be counting down the days to each school day off and next summer vacation!



First day of school. I don't know what gang symbol Carena is throwing in the picture - so I hope no rival gang gets offended.

5 comments:

mad white woman said...

Aww, sad. I don't want Clara to go to all day school ever. Let's start home schooling together. He he.

Julie's kids probably taught Carena the gang sign. You should ask her what it is.

Julie said...

Ha!!!! I was just going to say, "Did Riley teach Carena the sign?" I love when my reputation proceeds me!

I saw Chris at the school. He did his fatherly duties well. I had to go through the same thought process today, "Oh, wait, now I'm supposed to spend quality time with the ones at home." We'll see how long that lasts.

Cook Zoo said...

That one-on-one time is such a good bonding experience. It'll be a great year for you Roccy.

And I'm totally down with the gang symbols. Yo!

bethiepoos said...

that totally means "up yours" in scotland! hehehe

Emily said...

You are an incredible mama!