Sunday, June 1, 2008

Holy Grossness!

My mom makes the most phenomenal chocolate sauce for ice cream. Today, I asked her if she'd make me some. Well, it turns out she had some already made in the refrigerator. So, she heated that up and we poured it on our ice cream. I took a few bites and it just tasted not right at all. But, was it me? Were my taste-buds going bad? And then I didn't want to say anything to hurt my mom's feelings. I ate some more. But, it got to the point where I couldn't not say something. I said, "this tastes kind of weird." And then I added, "this isn't chocolate, is it?" Her eyes got wide, I could tell she was thinking and then she said, "oh no! I know what it is!" Did I dare ask? I asked . . .

It was a sauce she was making for some baked beans. A sauce with KETCHUP in it, yellow MUSTARD, molasses and brown sugar. All mixed together it looked like chocolate. I ate half of my ice cream with that stuff on it. I shudder now even thinking about it. I've always thought that the most gross combination of foods would be ice cream and ketchup. And here I was - I just ate it.

Remember that show Fear Factor? They'd eat stuff like bull testicles and 100-year old eggs or coagulated blood balls? Yeah, well I ate ketchup and ice cream together. Where's my $50,000?

7 comments:

Amy from Our Dish said...

OK that is hilarious! But at least it was edible/non-toxic. I remember one time my mother-in-law served us all strawberry shortcake, except she had put the strawberries in a bowl filled with liquid Ivory soap!!! It tasted very chemical-ly, and we all made faces at each other wondering what was up, but trying not to hurt her feelings. BLEH!

Deb said...

That is truly gross. I can't believe you got that far before saying anything. I guess I'm just not as worried about hurting my moms feelings.

One time at a friends after school I had some pasta, a pickle, and mug of chocolate milk (from the carton). I was super thirsty so I chugged the milk even though it tasted disgusting. I figured it was gross because of eating the pickle first. When I looked closer at the carton I discovered the milk was a month old and was growing something in it. I wanted to vomit.

mad white woman said...

That sounds gross. I don't really like ice cream (unless it has more mix-ins than ice cream) and I'm not a huge fan of ketchup either. I do like mustard though, so maybe that was the saving ingredient. Ha ha. You are too nice, I would've gasped, "Oh disgusting! What is in this?"

Jodi said...

Oh Yuck! You definitely win the fear factor prize. I couldn't have handled that. EW!

Julie said...

You're so nice. I think I would have gagged on the first bite.

bethiepoos said...

hahah roccy you funny girl!! I drank a whole bottle of vinegar once for a dare! that was not a pretty sight on its way back up, let me tell you!

Cook Zoo said...

LOL! You win the prize for nicest daughter award!