Sorry, I don't have any pictures for this entry.
We made it to Pennsylvania. It was not easy getting here. For those of you who have never traveled via air with your children, it is a daunting, exhausting, frustrating, and plain difficult task. Just getting through security is a trick. I had my three children, a diaper bag and Jonathan's bulky and heavy car seat. When you go through security they make you take your shoes off. ALL of our shoes, even little Jonathan's. I think what makes it so terrible is knowing that there is a huge long line behind me waiting "patiently" while I take everyone's shoes off, get all of our stuff on the conveyor belt and then walk one at a time through security. On the other side, we are then rushed to put our shoes back on, gather up our belongings and head to our gate.
The first leg of the flight is about 4 hours long. This time we had purchased a seat for Jonathan, rather than have him sit on my lap. That was nice - he was in his familiar car seat and knew that once he was buckled in there was no getting up. To make our trips smoother, I always pack for the kids travel bags with various goodies and small cheap toys. They do not get their travel bags until we are on the plane and in the air. Then they entertain themselves with this new loot.
After our first leg, we landed in Detroit to catch our connecting flight. This was probably the hardest time for me. Detroit airport is HUGE, with millions on moving walkways, a train to ride to the next concourse, a tunnel with weird changing lights, and more moving walkways. Of course we had to go from the end of one concourse all the way to the very last of another concourse. This had to be done in breakneck speed while I was carrying Jonathan AND his car seat. Carena held Colt's hand and we practically ran. But we made it to our connecting flight which should have only been an hour long flight but . . .
Right before we were to land in Pennsylvania, a storm kicked up and we were unable to land due to high winds. So we circled and circled and circled some more. At one point Colt said to me, "Mama?" I looked at him and he was GREEN. I grabbed the air sick bag and he proceeded to throw up numerous times. The flight attendant was wonderful though and ran and got him cool wet cloths for his head to help him feel better. So, after circling and circling, and still unable to land the pilots diverted the plane to another airport not too far away to land and refuel. After refueling, we took off again and headed back to the airport where the storm had cleared and we were able to land . . . two hours late.
But, we're here.
6 years ago
7 comments:
Oh Roccy! You poor girl. At least you caught it just in time. Glad to hear you arrived safely, too. Now let the good times begin!
*but we still miss you*
I truly feel sorry for you, because I know exactly what you went through. We don't have good luck flying either. We've also had the experiance of almost missing flights, one time I got sick on the plane and started throwing up, and another time Smith threw up all over himself and the airplane.
The last flight we were on, my kids were being such MONSTERS that the flight attendent approched us and jokingly said, "the captian can hear your kids and wants to know if you want him to mess with the cabin pressure so that they will go to sleep." Then she gave us some recommendations to treat ADD.
WHAT. A. NIGHTMARE! You poor thing. Traveling with kids is so hard. Glad you made it safely, though.
I am so sad (for you too) that Colt got sick. And that you were on the plane an extra few hours. Hopefully you have no fun adventures to share about the plane ride home. (I'm so excited you posted!!)
Roccy, I have traveled alone with little kids. Its so hard but I think you have me beat. We didn't have throw up and extra landings. You are super mom!
I'm so glad to hear you are safe. I was checking your blog often to make sure. Keep us up to date with you!
Yeah, I'm so glad you're safe and sound. I've been checking your blog to see if you would keep in touch while you are away. I enjoy your humor and tales of "real" life. I'm sorry about the plane flight what a nightmare! Take care and have a blast in PA.
Love, Lisa McB
Oh my holy! What a trip! I'm glad you're there safe. I've been gone to Texas so I'm going to go catch up on the rest of your entries now. I'm so glad you're keeping in touch with us. I miss you! :)
Post a Comment