I have not read a book in a l-o-o-o-o-ng time. I love to read, but finding the time to do so is a little tricky these days (probably wouldn't be so tricky if I'd just get off the computer!). Also, I want a really really good book to read. I turn to you all for your suggestions! What MUST I read? Keep in mind - I typically like sweet love stories with fairly happy endings. Although, if it's a "must read," then it's a "must read." I'm open to just about anything.
Help me!
6 years ago
10 comments:
"These is My Words." Absolute MUST READ. Don't get worried if it takes you 40 pages to get into it because after that you will be feeding your kids crackers for dinner, and turning on multiple kid movies just to finish the book.
I'm also getting into author Shannon Hale (very much the happy ending type). I read "Princess Academy" and enjoyed that. Right now I'm on "Goose Girl" (the beginning of a three-book series). I've been given many recommendations on her books and so far I can echo those.
Good luck and happy reading!!!
(Come join the book club! Are you interested?)
Julie - already read "These Is My Words" - it's in my top ten favorites! Haven't tried any of the Shannon Hale books - I'll look into those!
Book Club? What book club?
WHAT BOOK CLUB? Girl, where you in Pennsylvania all summer or what? I'm just kidding. Go to mesa8bookclub@blogspot.com It used to be our "ward" book club but we still kept it going even after the boundary changes.
An oldie but goodie - have you ever read Amy Tan's "Joy Luck Club"? It's intense, not sweet and romantic, but extremely interesting. Taught me a lot about relationships (mother/daughter especially) and it's just plain good!!! Plus, my copy has the handful of bad words it contains crossed out with black marker! hee hee Borrow anytime.
Roccy, read Goose Girl. Now. Also, you should read The Five People We Meet in Heaven. It's a quick read, so you should have plenty of time to read it before book club next week. Whatever, "what book club". I invited you to the book club and you said you didn't like books about people dying. :)
Well, sweet love story with a happy ending rules out most of my must reads. ;) But good reads I would put in that category are The Rescue by Nicolas Sparks and the Diary of Mattie Spencer by Sandra Dallas.
In addition to the books I've blogged about, I LOVED Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden
P.S. I second These Is My Words for anyone reading who isn't yet convinced. That would have been my one and only suggestion if I didn't know you'd already read it.
I think my problem is that I've read so many books that I really don't know where to turn at this point.
Donna - I LOVED Memoirs of a Geisha as well. Already read The Rescue (and most of Nicholas Sparks's stuff).
I don't necessarily want an "easy read" - I want something with substance, perhaps something with a deep and profound love story (do those even exist?). Maybe I should write one.
Maybe I should stop being so particular.
Maybe I'll try this Goose Girl book.
Maybe . . .
Sorry no recommendations from me. Have you read the Harry Potters? Those are my favorites.
Other great books:
The Tenant of Wildfell Hall, by Anne Bronte (a good love story)
Across Five Aprils, by Irene Hunt
The Chosen, by Chaim Potok
Uncle Tom's Cabin, by Harriet Beecher Stowe
The Good Earth, by Pearl S. Buck
My Antonia, by Willa Cather
I also loved the Agony and the Ecstacy, by Irving Stone, which is the bestselling biography of Michelangelo. I read about this in Marjory Pay Hinckley's book, Glimpses. Apparently it's a book she used to recommend to people.
Be sure to let us know what you end up reading! :)
I really liked The Chosen. I also loved Hiding Place. I know its about the concentration camps but its not depressing. Eye opening maybe. . . but she's so positive and has such a great learning experience that you come away feeling inspired and wanting to be better.
We finished Secret Life of Bees, recently. Liked it.
Plus have you read the whole "These is my Words" series?
I think you should write the complex love story. . . you seem the type!!!
If you want a funny/sweet love story - that's not too fantastical considering it's Dean Koontz - read Life Expectancy. It's so sweet. I laugh, I cry, and the woman is fun and strong. I like the Stephenie Meyers books - but I've always loved anything with vampires in it... so that was a no brainer :-). I'm more of a mystery or fantasy girl myself. I love anything by R.A. Salvatore with Drizzt D'Urden in it - he's a cool eflin hero for me...
Post a Comment