Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Sharks' Teeth and Gratitude


One of my all-time favorite activities is walking the beach searching for sharks' teeth. However, just looking down and coming across a shark's tooth is not always easy. Often they are tiny and mixed in with shells, ocean debris and other beach stuff. But, once you know what you're looking for - the smooth black, the triangle shape - it becomes easier. The shells, the beach glass, the seaweed, all those distractions just seem to fade away as you are focused on spotting the sharks' teeth amongst the debris.

In my collection of sharks' teeth I have super super small shark's teeth that at first glance look like a small smooth pebble. But upon further inspection, you can see that it is in fact a shark's tooth. It really is like a needle in a hay stack . . . but once you know what to look for, it becomes easy and the non-sharks' teeth fade to the background so that the sharks' teeth are glaringly obvious. I also have some pretty big sharks' teeth that you just can't miss . . .

Liken this to gratitude and blessings. Lately I've been consciously listing the things I am grateful for. Sometimes it takes a little work. Sometimes I feel like I have more to be ungrateful for. BUT, with focusing on the good all that other bad stuff just fades to the background and I'm left with my gratitude and a long long list of blessings. All that other stuff doesn't even register, just like the non-sharks' teeth stuff. Sharks' teeth equal my blessings. In focusing on finding the sharks' teeth (blessings), the beach debris (rotten stuff going on in our lives), although still there, isn't in the forefront so much.

So, I'm trying to focus on the good. And that other stuff can just fade into the background as I pick up my little treasures along the way of life.

4 comments:

Julie said...

Great perspective. Its that really your collection? The things I learn about you through blogging!

mad white woman said...

See? You are the coolest.

Cook Zoo said...

That is, hands down, the coolest collection I've ever seen.

You're right about gratitude and the perspective it gives us. Sometimes it's a lifeline.

Emily said...

Oh I love that analogy. I've enjoyed your grateful posts lately. Sometimes, I find that sickness actually forces me to slow down and appreciate the little things. Hope you guys are feeling better.