Saturday, November 7, 2009

The 'S' Word

On Thursday afternoon, all of a sudden, Colt started complaining about a sore throat. He said it was bad enough that he didn't want to go to karate (red flag!!). About ten minutes later . . . he was complaining of a headache. Ten minutes after that, he had a fever of 101. In the middle of the night, he came into our room and told us he needed a bucket. He was sick all night long. And the fever stuck. Friday morning - still sick, but able to keep some soup down. His newest symptom was congestion, stuffy nose, and a terrible cough.

Last night he had a fever of 104 that wouldn't budge even with motrin. He was pretty uncomfortable all night long. This morning I tried the motrin again, and thankfully the fever went down to 102. He's no longer sick to his stomach, but all the other symptoms are really wreaking havoc with him. But, wow, what a trooper he is. He's handling it well.

This morning I called his doctor. I explained his symptoms and over the phone they confirmed that yup, it's the flu. However, there was no mention of the "s" word associated with the flu. I didn't bring it up and the doctor's office didn't bring it up. But I think we are both aware of what it could be.

For now, we're treating his fever with motrin every 6 hours, pushing fluids, and treating his cough, congestion, stuffiness and sneezing. If he's not significantly better by Tuesday we'll take him into the doctor.

See you all later. . . we're headed toward quarantine!

4 comments:

Deb said...

Oh I'm so sorry. I hope it doesn't spread throughout the house. Someone told me that their doctor said that if you have the flu right now, you can pretty much count on it being the "s" flu because it's going around more than the other flu. I don't know how true that is, it's just what I heard.

Good luck. And if you need me to run to the store for you or anything PLEASE call.

I AM JOE PESCI said...

Deb, I heard the same thing! Thanks for your offer, you're so awesome.

Kelly Cameron said...

Praying for Colt -and the rest of you- that he heals quickly and you all stay well! Good job, Dr. Mama!

Cook Zoo said...

Ah, that explains why I didn't see you yesterday. Ben is down with the flu too, but I don't think it's swine flu either. Apparently you can't tell without a specific test for it, but he wasn't as sick as that. Hope Colt gets feeling better soon!