Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Missed Opportunities

Just last week a friend of mine moved to a land far far away. It just about broke my heart and when I think about it, I tear up.

I first met her at church a few years ago and instantly liked her. She's beautiful and funny. At the time she had just had her first child and I had just had my second. I was so excited to get to know her.

But life got in the way and I kept thinking, maybe we'll get together next week or next month when things die down a bit. I remember thinking constantly, I need to call her, I need to get together with her.

And then she had her second child. And then I had my third child. And then she had her third child.

All along I put off getting together with her because life got in the way. Oh, every once in a while we'd meet up or get a chance to chat at church or some other activity.

But I took for granted that she'd always be close, that in time we'd actually be able to get together consistently.

I didn't mean to put our friendship on a back burner, but I think I did - because life happens, because kids get sick, things get busy and all along I was thinking, perhaps tomorrow.

Tomorrow is here and she has moved. And I miss her.

But, I did learn my lesson - that tomorrow may not come - that I need to do my best today to let people know how much they mean to me because tomorrow they may not live around the corner anymore and I won't have the chance to really get to know them and be a part of their everyday lives.

5 comments:

Julie said...

Amen.

mad white woman said...

Good lesson learned, but sorry it was the hard way.

Deb said...

I feel exactly the same way about you(:

Marie said...

I know what you mean.

Cook Zoo said...

I miss her too.

And it makes me want to get together with you.