Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Bubba Blue and Me

The image “http://thenastyboys.files.wordpress.com/2007/06/bubba.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

Do you remember Bubba Blue from Forrest Gump? He's Forrest's Best Good Friend. They meet while in the Army and Bubba proceeds to tell Forrest everything there is to know 'bout the shrimpin' business. Bubba goes on and on and on about all of the different ways to prepare shrimp.

That's how I feel, except I feel that way about strawberries.

So, what did I do with those 40 pounds of berries?

Thankfully, two dear dear dear friends each took a flat leaving me with only 24 pounds, instead of 40.

I made quite a bit of freezer jam, I froze a few pounds, I pureed a few pounds to turn into fruit leather, I dehydrated a bunch (yummy strawberry chips), we sliced some fresh for snacking on, Chris made batches of strawberry lemonade, I made strawberry shortcake with fresh homemade whipped cream! It seemed the strawberries were never-ending. There I was, Sunday night, and I still had eight pounds left. I didn't know what to do with it. Carena said, nonchalantly, "Too bad we don't have a juicer."

MY JUICER!! How did I not think of my juicer?! So, out came my juicer and I juiced the rest. Not only did I get a lot of juice, but I got some great pulp as well that I have frozen.


Except for some sliced strawberries in the refrigerator, all of the strawberries have been taken care of.

4 comments:

Julie said...

How creative you are! Where was my invitation for the strawberry shortcake and fresh whipped cream? I know. . . you'll catch me next time around. . . since you are already planning your next strawberry purchase!

Jodi said...

You are my hero! I would never have figured out what to do with so many strawberries.

Cook Zoo said...

You're the queen Roccy! Half of our flat ended up in the freezer and we've been using them for waffle topping. Yummy!

Cook Zoo said...

Too bad I can't make comments on your recipe sidebar (which I'm enjoying very much BTW). Your broccoli creation sounds yummy! If you ever want the recipe for cream of mushroom soup, let me know. It's easy and cheaper than buying the cans.