Saturday, April 19, 2008

Welcome (?) Summer

Well, the a/c is now running on a consistent basis. I finally caved and turned it on. I like to see how far into the year I can get before I HAVE to turn it on. I wimped out this year. Perhaps I could have lasted longer if I brought down our room fans from the attic and had those blasting away.

In addition to the a/c there are other clues that summer is here . . .

1. I am spending more time inside, less inclined to venture out in the heat.
2. A few of my veggies in my garden are doing swimmingly well and will be ready for harvest in a few weeks.
3. My jeans have been sitting on the shelf more and more. My capris are getting much more attention now-a-days.
4. When we get into the car, the children usually exclaim, "it's too hot! I can't breathe!"
and . . .
5. My bedroom is now a dark cave. Last night I got out the black-out curtains and covered our windows and the patio door (in the bedroom) so that we won't be woken up by the rising sun at 6 am . . . that's just a wee bit too early for me.

Yes, we are hunkering down for the summer. What a weird concept.

3 comments:

Julie said...

Doesn't everyone else in the country celebrate the coming of summer? I think Arizona is off from the rest of the world sometimes. I am stubborn like you with the A/C. I think last week I made the whole family suffer miserably but I was determined not to turn it on. I may need to rethink my reasoning here.

Cook Zoo said...

I feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone over here. I haven't turned the air on yet, but we haven't been hot either. Oh no wait, it may have been on one afternoon while I was gone but Brian was here. But we were able to turn it off that evening. I think we've made it this long cuz we were gone those two really hot days.

Roccy, I had to look up pierogies to find out what the heck they even were. Like dumplings, right? Do you make them or buy them?

I admit, I came here tonight hoping you'd have a recipe posted for squash! ;)

Jodi said...

We've been lucky, too, we haven't had to turn on the A/C yet, but it's due to Matt's diligence every morning... he gets up early, opens all the doors, and turns on two fans, blowing all the cool air through the house. He usually cools things off by a few degrees that way. :)