Friday, April 25, 2008

These Gas Prices Stink

http://www.necn.com/files/2008/04/22/vlcsnap-1124534.jpg

So, it appears that I do think about things other than food and LOST. I think about these lousy gas prices! Whenever I look at my gas gauge I get a little nervous and when I actually have to pull into a gas station, my stomach lurches.

I remember about 6-7 years ago filling up my tank at $.88 a gallon. Yes, you read that correctly. 88 cents!! And I specifically recall thinking, "I wish I could bottle this somehow."

I'm now considering my options. Is it cheaper to do my shopping at Basha's (which is only 1/3 of a mile away) rather than drive all the way to WalMart? Should I have some sort of middle ground at Fry's, which is still rather close - perhaps 2 miles or so? I've only shopped at Fry's on a few occasions and I wasn't thoroughly impressed, but I might give it another go.

Another option is to seriously load up when I do go to WalMart and limit my excursions there to once a month. It would take some big time planning - getting all of my grocery shopping done in one trip for the month (while supplementing milk, bread, eggs at Basha's or Fry's). And perhaps I could walk to Basha's for these incidentals thereby saving more on gas.

I know I need to do something - we can't afford these gas prices . . . something has to give . . . and so I'm looking around the house trying to figure out what I can do differently that would save us money - money that could then be reallocated to the gas fund.

4 comments:

Cook Zoo said...

Yeah. These gas prices stink, no question about it, and it'll only get worse. The price of food isn't done climbing either.

Jodi said...

I heard it's going to be around $4.00 soon. It already costs me over $50.00 to fill up my tank, and it costs almost $100.00 to fill my husbands - Wow!

mad white woman said...

It is lame. I'm in Cali right now and I paid $3.89, so $3.49 looks appetizing to me right now. How pathetic is that?? I think your idea of going to Wal Mart once a month is cool, especially since Basha's almost always has milk and/or eggs on sale. I've also walked to Basha's a few times, it's fun. :)

Julie said...

Yes, I remember the "under a dollor" days. I also remember thinking anything in the $2 range was expensive. What I would give now. . .