Woo HOO! The kids are home! It's summertime. So, what did we do today - the first official day of summer vacation? Well, it started out last night when Carena, Jonathan and I had a little slumber party in the living room. Carena made a fort under the dining room table and slept in there.


Today, we went to Sprouts! I love Sprouts - great produce, lots of healthy living supplies, and decent prices. I wanted the kids to pick out some fresh "treats," i.e. fruits and veggies. I think summer and I think strawberries and watermelons, fruit salads, and cold juicy fruit. Yum. We stocked up on blueberries (Jonathan's pick), strawberries, bananas, starfruit (Carena's pick), grape tomatoes (Colt's pick), grapes, apples and carrots.
We then came home and had our lunch on a blanket in the back yard. The day has been just lovely - cool with a breeze. Weird for Arizona, but I'll take it any day!
To fill up other moments of the day, the children have been carving soap! They gathered some pretty soaps that I had had on display and have been working hard on their little creations. Carena made a chick and a duck. Jonathan just had fun carving, with no end result in mind. Colt was the same way. They enjoyed the journey of artistic expression.



Not a big exciting day, but it's been fun and just about a perfect way to spend our first day of NO SCHOOL! More fun to come! We have the whole summer ahead of us!
(oh, and I've implemented a new rule for the summer . . . If the children tell me they are bored or ask me what they can do, I promised them I would give them a chore to do)
In other news . . . we have a new member of the family. Welcome Hermie the Hermit Crab.
3 comments:
Did the soap carving have to do with the book their class read? Riley was telling me all about that. I didn't think about DOING it--you're such a good mom. We started the first day of summer with chores, that's the way I like it! Again. . . you're such a good mom.
Great first day! I love your threat to give them chores. Truly, I think it's a blessing for kids to have both the freedom and the responsibility to come up with things to do. They have such great imaginations. Boredom is a good motivator to use them.
But I'm preaching to the choir. You know all about the value of boredom. :)
Can me and Clara come live with you? It's way more fun over there than my house.
Colt's party looked fun. I am still amazed at your cake skills. It tasted great too. ;)
I think that's the first picture of Chris you've posted on your blog. I guess he does exist.
Post a Comment