Friday, March 13, 2009

Another Surgery

::SIGH::

Jonathan has to have yet another surgery. This time it's for a hydrocele. Don't know what that is? (I'm always amazed at how many medical conditions there are that I've never ever heard of). Here ya go: "a hydrocele is a fluid-filled sac surrounding a testicle that results in swelling of the scrotum, the loose bag of skin underneath the penis." http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hydrocele/DS00617. So, Jonathan is having a hydrocelectomy: "removal of a hydrocele may be performed on an outpatient basis using general or spinal anesthesia. The surgeon may make an incision in the scrotum or lower abdomen to remove the hydrocele."

I've gotten to talk an awful lot about testicles and scrotum these past few weeks . . .

ANYWAY . . . the surgery is scheduled for Monday at 9 am. It should only take an hour. He gets to come home the same day.

My favorite part is the post-op instructions that state he should not run or jump for 3 WEEKS. Jonathan's favorite words are, "Big Jump!"

4 comments:

Cook Zoo said...

Oh man, the post-op instructions sound even more daunting than the surgery! Poor little guy. :( I hope all goes well.

Christina said...

Oh, poor guy. Outpatient is no fun. We will be hoping recovery goes quickly and no jumps!! What a challenge at that age. Take care!:)

mad white woman said...

Clearly the people that create these post-op instructions have never been in the presence of a two-year old.

Let me know if I can help with anything.

Julie said...

So you will have Jonathan in a straight jacket inside a velcro suit, velcroed to the wall to follow the post-op instructions, right? Sounds easy enough.

Keep us posted. I hope everything goes well.