Today is my dad's 70th birthday. As a surprise, my brothers and I (my sister is here with us in spirit) all flew to Pennsylvania. We got in late last night. My dad had no idea we were coming. So, we sneaked up the driveway, positioned ourselves under my dad's bedroom window and at midnight woke him up by singing as loudly as we could, "Happy Birthday." He was floored. It was so much fun! We then came into the house and ate snacks and chatted for a while until we all headed to bed.
This morning, I woke up to wild turkeys making a raucous outside my bedroom window. We (not the turkeys) had breakfast together - my mom made my dad's favorite - creamed chipped beef on toast, strawberries and fresh orange juice. After breakfast I headed for a hike in the woods and down to the ponds. It was amazing seeing so many animal tracks in the snow. I had this feeling of not being alone on my walk, but there was the whole other animal world that I just usually wasn't aware of. I saw coyote tracks, squirrel tracks, deer and maybe rabbit. My mom is a great tracker so she identified all the tracks.
So, here I am in Pennsylvania until Sunday. It's wonderful being here, being with my family (I hadn't seen my older brother in 3 years) and celebrating my dad's birthday.
6 years ago
5 comments:
Hope you enjoy every minute Roccy! That is such a neat surprise story I bet it meant a lot to him! Enjoy!
Surprises like that are the best ever. Glad you made it safe and glad you're having a good time. It just sounds so lovely! (Except creamed chipped beef... I'll have to get more details on that later). :)
How fun! What a neat surprise. :) I take it you're there sans kids? Cuz I gotta say I think that would make it even a better - a truly relaxing vacation. ;) Enjoy your trip!
That is seriously so cool. What a fun surprise. I'm glad you didn't give your dad a heart attack though!!!
i wish I would have known to offer to help with your kids. . . especially after your help to me.
Have an awesome time!!!!
Oh, how wonderful for you -all of you! I am sure your parents are thrilled to have (most of) you home for the special occasion! My dad loved chipped beef on toast, too. Must be a Dad thing ;) Happy Birthday, Pops!
Post a Comment