Saturday, February 21, 2009

A Day at the Zoo

On President's Day we headed to the zoo! What a great day. We packed a picnic lunch, ate there, and then spent 4 hours exploring the zoo. I think the highlight for the children was the petting zoo where they got to brush and pet a bunch of goats. We were all sad to leave our new-found goat friends, but we still needed to see the wolves and the rhinos. Being at the zoo made me ache even more for a little piece of land somewhere, anywhere where we could have a goat, a pony and some chickens.









By the looks of these pictures it seems like the only live animals were the goats and the rest were stone sculptures. But, I promise we did see a TON of real life animals.

One cool thing we saw: there were these monkeys on a little island in a lake at the zoo. The island consisted of ropes and trees and poles for the monkeys to climb. One monkey saw a pigeon land on top of one of the tall poles. Said monkey then stealthily climbed the pole, reached his hand up to the top of the pole AND GRABBED THE PIGEON. It was amazing (where's the video camera when ya need one?). He held the pigeon for a moment (I totally thought he was going to stick the pigeon in his mouth and eat it) and then let it go. It quickly flew out of the monkey island area and hid in a tree.

(P.S. - notice in practically every picture Colt is holding the zoo map. He was in charge of that map the entire day and would periodically consult the map as to where we were to go next. He was quite the navigator!)

3 comments:

Julie said...

Your kids are naturals with the animals. I can see Carena making a true friend with the goat. I wouldn't be surprised if you were raising future vets, marine biologists, etc. My kids inherited their parents' love/hate relationship with animals. We love them from afar, and hate to clean up after them. . .

mad white woman said...

I'll lease the back half of my giant lot to you for a goat, a pony OR chickens.

Deal?

Cook Zoo said...

I have yet to make it to monkey island. That is SO cool about the pigeon!