___________________________________________________________________
Now, my thoughts on this. First, I thought wow! That's incredible. But then I thought some more and seriously, this is how I typically live every day of every year and I haven't been in the news, much less the front page of FoxNews.com. When I first read the headline I thought that they had $1,500 to spend on everything - utilities, groceries, gas, etc. But this is just for groceries and personal items like shampoo. Big deal.
And I love how the article says that "so far this year, their monthly grocery bill has averaged $125.00." Again - big deal - it's only February!
Now, I'm not trying to dissuade anyone from their attempts at saving money and getting by on what they already have, but come on. This isn't a huge feat. Lots of people do it and do it with less.
And these people could do better - I mean, they have paper towels! Get rid of those and save even more! And buy generic aluminum foil, not Reynold's (and I don't care if they bought it at Sam's). And that toilet paper? Come on! Corn cobs work just as well. I also see bottles and bottles of juice. Lady, ya gotta ditch the juice. Drink water - it's cheaper and isn't pumping you full of sugars (even if they are naturally occurring sugars).
___________________________________________________________________
The people named in this article have requested that I remove this post. I will remove the article itself, but I'll keep my two cents posted. I think most of us have already read the article anyway.
I felt I was a tad harsh in my critique of the article, but I just want to say that my point is this: "We could all do better with our spending." In times of financial stress, you really need to sit down and assess what you could do without in order to save money. And yes, you may have to do without an item of convenience in order to pay your bills and be able to buy groceries.
6 comments:
I am trying to find better ways to save and start cutting our bills down, but I agree--this isn't newsworthy. I buy a lot of generic stuff (there are a few things I won't--like canned tomatoes. the generic ones are just bitter.) and we drink a lot of water. I actually grew a lot of my own food this past summer and I have a freezer FULL of frozen green beans, tomatoes, squash, soups, zucchini, hot peppers, etc. I also have several jars of apple butter and apple sauce that I made (ok, I bought the apples at an orchard, but still!). I know not everyone can do that part--but there are little ways to save money everywhere.
we have also been eating a lot of bean soups and chili and fried rice and such.
thanks for sharing!!
Interesting. . . I've found in pricing generic that its very unusual that a name brand is ever cheaper(even on sale). Sometimes there are huge case lot sales or coupons (and those are only cheaper sometimes too) but other than that generic is WAY cheaper usually. And I've also found that Costco usually isn't cheaper--its more of my splurge on fun things I like!
My thoughts exactly... well until you mentioned something about corn on the cob. That's when my thoughts turned against your. Anyway, $125/month compared to my budget is LIVING LARGE. I love how you've analyzed every little detail in the picture. That's pretty cool.
You should post your tips on her blog. And I'm not being sarcastic, you really should.
Could you please remove this blog post? Our blog has been closed due to serious privacy concerns for our family. Thank you.
Amen. Though it boggles my mind how easily I spend wads of dough at the grocery store and it's just me...and a baby. NOT a heck of a lot of people. I seek your inspiration -I, Kelly Cameron, promise to be more thrifty in my grocery shopping. Thank you ;) I already feel reformed!
Post a Comment