Sunday, February 15, 2009

Saturday Hike: Valentine's Edition


The kids started their Valentine's Day off with a Valentine's Day card and a small box of chocolates left at each of their spots at the kitchen table. Jonathan carried his card around all day and would show it to us periodically. The chocolates didn't last long (and that's why we got them each a very tiny box).

After that excitement, Carena and I headed out for our weekly hike. This week we went on the Hieroglyphic Trail in the Superstitions - out Gold Canyon way. I've done this hike before and always loved it. This time was no exception except everything was so much greener because of our recent rains - very lovely scenery . . . even if it is in Arizona. The weather was cool and pleasant, bright and sunny. My favorite part was getting to the end to look at all the petroglyphs/hieroglyphs left by Native Americans many many years ago. I always get this feeling of awe, sitting where they perhaps sat hundreds of years ago. The end of the hike was especially nice because, due to the rain we've had, there was a small "waterfall" that led to a fairly decent sized pool of water at the base of the rocks. Carena and I sat down there while eating our lunch. Let me take a moment to talk about our lunch - Chris made it for us - his Valentine to us. We had egg salad sandwiches, beef jerky, granola, dried mangoes, fruit leather and bottled water. It was fantastic. While sitting there, a couple of boys with their Mastiffs (one of the dogs being 230 pounds - he was HUGE) came along, and the boys and dogs got into the little pool and started swimming! Did I mention that up there in the rocks, it's pretty dang cold? And the water was even icier? And those boys got in the water - jeans and all? I shiver just thinking about it. But they were great entertainment! I wish I had gotten some pictures of them taking a dip!





After our hike, we headed home where I began preparing dinner. This year for Valentine's Day I thought I'd make everyone their favorite dinner. Carena wanted a "flop over" (refried beans and cheese inbetween two buttered tortillas, cooked on the griddle), Colt requetsed hot wings, Chris a cheeseburger, and Jonathan some chicken fingers. For a side - some corn on the cob. There was a lot going on in the kitchen, but everything turned out well.

For dessert, I made a heart-shaped cake with pink peppermint frosting and chocolate drizzle (if I were on Top Chef, I could probably describe that a lot better than that - maybe throw in the word ganache or something) served with vanilla icecream and crushed peppermint candy. It was so good!

4 comments:

mad white woman said...

You better watch out, pretty soon you're going to have to admit that you like Arizona. :)

I love your idea of cooking everyone's favorite meal. It's a lot of work, but what a great way to tell your family you love them.

Cook Zoo said...

I don't even know what ganache is but it's a fun word to say. Ganache! Ganache!

I'm so impressed with your hiking tradition. That's the kind of thing people will say they're going to do and then never do it.

Or is that just me?

(And I'm craving flop-overs and dried mangos now! Yummy!)

Julie said...

1. Thanks for the hike info--we are for sure going to have to do that. Please, give me a tip on how you get your husband to pack the lunch?

2. You deserve an award for making everyone's favorite food. Yet another reminder of why you are a great mother/wife.

3. Do you have leftover cake and ice cream? You know peppermint is my fav!

My World said...

You are much more festive then I could have EVER hoped to be for V-day!!! Well done on being a fabulous wife and mom.

(I'm not a Top Chef, but I think it is fun to throw big words out there anyway...whether they are part of it or not! It makes me feel like Michael Scott because I know I am using them wrong!)