Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Countdown to Christmas

There are approximately 113 days left until Christmas - a little over 3 months. It is about now that I start thinking about Christmas. Crazy, huh? But, I like to be prepared. I need to know what I'm getting my kids. I want to take advantage of any sales that might crop up.

I have a friend who has sworn off getting toys for her children lately. For their birthdays this year they got luggage. I think that is so totally cool. I'm on board with her. I just cleaned out my kids' rooms and they have so much STUFF - too much STUFF - STUFF that was fun for a few minutes but is now forgotten. I like gifts that keep on giving - that the kids have fun with over and over again and that encourage creativity. I also like practical gifts (like the luggage - but only practical if you use it!).

So, I'm opening this blog entry up to any suggestions for non-toy gift ideas. Here are some ideas that I've come up with (some of this stuff they already have from previous gifts).

  • Luggage
  • Sleeping bags
  • Microscope
  • Books
  • Board Games (does this count as toys?)
What can you come up with? Give me some more ideas!!

Oh, and Merry Christmas!

14 comments:

Cook Zoo said...

Hmmm... I'll have to think about this when I don't have such limited time. The electrical storm fried my modem and I'm at the LIBRARY checking blogs. How lame is that? ;) LOL. I love your ideas for gifts that keep on giving. I'm really going to think about this and come back and comment later. :)

My World said...

Kid-sized camping type chairs that they can take to baseball games, the park, sit out and watch the stars...it's a favorite in our house.

Amy from Our Dish said...

I've always liked the gifts of "experience." As in, give them an experience to go do. Zoo pass/tickets, movie tickets, or other trips to do and see things they are interested in!

Deb said...

I just love reading your blog. You are so funny.

I have been starting to think about Christmas lately too. I'm still not really decided on what to get the kids.

I do actually every Christmas and Birthday get my kids a puzzle and/or a game. I rarely get my kids "regular" books because we go to the library so often (where they are free and not always around to get ruined and take up space). I do however always get my kids a "holiday" themed book on every holiday (easter, christmas, halloween, thanksgiving, etc.) that way we have fun stuff to read to get us into the spirit of whatever holiday it is.

I'll have to think on the no toy present thing. Sleeping bags are a great idea and my kids don't have those. I don't know about luggage though. We really don't travel that often. Movies and new games for Smith's Nintendo DS are good things to buy that don't take up a lot of space. I was also going to buy some computer games for Adelaide.

We were really debating of wheither to get Smith

mad white woman said...

Board games aren't toys, so you're safe. I've always been worried about getting "good" gifts for my kids b/c I always buy WAY too practical of gifts for Jason. Like clothes, shoes, socks, underwear, razors, hair product, etc. He'll be giddy as a school boy the day I buy him something he doesn't need, but wants. :)

Meghann said...

Morgan loves the beading kits, where she can make bracelets and such. also, Target has a really cool messenger bag that you iron on decorations--we had LOTS of fun with that, and she uses it to put coloring books or whatever when we go on car trips.

bethiepoos said...

roccy
I am totally with you about the toy thing!!! we have a playroom, completely packed with toys that are scattered and mixed up all over the floor, and kyle and brody hardly play in there! me and mark have decided instead of buying loads of toys, we would rather buy one big thing for the boys to share, like... a playground set, or a big sandpit outside. another idea is..... you can buy them new stuff for their bedroom, a whole new theme if you wanted, I know kyle would think that was pretty cool, to get a cool new lamp and bedding set, or even a really nice picture for his bedroom! yep..... I'm thinking!!!!

Cook Zoo said...

Ah Beth beat me to it. I was going to suggest a bedding set. My mom got the kids that one year (one was Pokemon and one was Transformers, oh joy) and the kids just loved it! We're doing a group gift this year too. We're finally getting rid of the Playstation (that's right, an ORIGINAL Playstation) and upgrading to a Wii.

Something some kids like (my Ben, but not the others) is art supplies. If I get him a nice set of markers or paint along with paper, etc, he just loves that.

If you think your kids will really use it, a telescope might be cool. But something less clunky but still fun for kids your age might be binoculars.

I'm still thinking... I like that you posted this because it's making me really think about what I want to do for my kids. Course, the big gift is the Wii - we won't do a lot beyond that.

Cook Zoo said...

A gel ant farm.

Cook Zoo said...

A scooter, baseball with glove and bat, diary with a lock, piggy bank. My kids like gifts that feel grown up to them, like a watch, sunglasses, or a wallet.

Okay, I think I'm done now. :)

Jodi said...

Man, everybody has such good ideas! What about one of those books with lots of cute craft ideas for kids to do? I've been thinking I need to look for one of those, because I had one as a kid and LOVED it. I remember bugging my parents endlessly to do the crafts with me.

Or, what about a tent and the camping chairs that Genny suggested, that you could set up in the backyard for a family camping experience once in a while. We got a bunch of camping stuff one year when I was a kid and my parents set it all up in the backyard Christmas night and we had a campout. It was so fun (and a bit cold).

Good luck!

I AM JOE PESCI said...

Great ideas!

Jodi - I love the tent idea! Maybe that could be a big "family" gift and each of the kids could get their own chair and a camping essential item.

Julie said...

Roccy, I love that I converted you to non-toy-ness! One Christmas we gave our kids bean bags. I was sick of them always dragging their pillows and blankets from their rooms to watch TV, etc. It might sound like a lame gift but my kids LOVE them!!! They jump on them, build forts with them, and find other ways to incorporate them into play. Plus they love them for watching TV.

We also did the Wii last year--I'm a huge fan. Its expensive but totally fun!

I AM JOE PESCI said...

Love the bean bag chair idea! I've seen them at your house and they're great!! (I just sounded like Tony the Tiger)

Ahhh, a Wii - I would love to get one for my kids, Colt asks for one almost daily - but it's a no-go this year - maybe when they come down about $200.00!

You all really rock with these ideas!