A few of you have inquired about my other children's names and why we named them what we did.
Carena
Carena was always Carena. There was never any other name for her. I came up with the name "Carena" one day while I was at work (slow day at the law office, I guess). I was doodling and thinking about girl names (I wasn't even preggers at the time). I combined my sister's name - Carrie with my name - Roccena and ta-da! Carena!! (First three letters of my sisters name and the last three letters of my name). In Italian, Carena means "dear little one." That describes her to a tee.
Her middle name is Louise. Simply, that is her paternal grandmother's middle name.
Jonathan
We have such a hard time coming up with boy names. We didn't have a name for Jonathan until he was practically born and even then we were confused on how to spell it (Jonathan vs Jonathon). Anyway - we were actually thinking of naming him "John" which is my older brother's name. For some reason, though, we were drawn to the name Jonathan. We wanted a "J" name. We also wanted his middle name to be Ashley - my older brother's middle name as well as my mother's middle name. Actually we have a long line of Ashley's (as a last name) in my family and there is a small town in Pennsylvania named Ashley - named after one of my ancestors. After we decided on Jonathan Ashley we found out that in my family tree there is actually a Jonathan Ashley. So, we named him after someone. We liked that his initials are JAG. Kinda cool - and it gives tribute to Chris's brother who loves the show JAG.
Jonathan is a long name - a mouthful, so when we decided on Jonathan, I was thinking we'd probably shorten it and call him Jon or Jonny. But, it's funny how nicknames come about. I started calling him "Little J." Pretty soon that was just shortened to "J" or "Jay." We all call him "Jay." Of course we still call him "Jonathan." But he responds to both. Well, Chris's stepdad is called "Jay" - so a little nod goes to Chris's stepdad.
And those are the reasons why my children have the names they do.
6 years ago
7 comments:
Very well chosen I might add!! All very great names of children to go on to do great things!! We always have the toughest time on boy names except for Christian and Conan had picked that out even before we were married! It's fun to see how the name process evolves, each one is different:)
Jay is also really close to Jason...
I love hearing how people chose names. Thanks for sharing!
Ha Ha! I almost mentioned in my post how I sometimes accidentally call him Jason. Poor kid is going to be so confused as to what his name is!
I also love hearing about how people pick out names. I'll have to do a post like this too (you don't mind if I copy your idea, do you??) because we were kinda weird about names. And we almost named Benjamin "Michael."
I love hearing nicknames too. I think the evolution of nicknames is always so funny. And yes, Carena's names fits so well.
I feel guilty; maybe I should've put more thought into Clara's name.
Or maybe I need to make something up about how we chose her name. Or her nickname. :)
I love the meaning of Carena's name. And I love the middle name Ashely.
Names are so hard to choose. My kids would have completely different names if it weren't for my husband. He's sooo picky about girl names and doesn't like ANY names I like. I gave birth to them, why am I the one compromising in the name department? Hmmm.
Post a Comment