Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Family Traditions

Growing up, we had a few family traditions - outside of holiday traditions. Each Sunday, my dad would make pancakes for breakfast. My siblings and I would see who could eat the most. My personal best was 21. I am proud of that. Another tradition was that each Saturday that my mother did the grocery shopping, my dad would bring donuts home for breakfast. That began my love (obsessive love?) of donuts. Yet another - my mom would take each of us children out separately for a "special time" - just mom and me. My favorite things to do with her were 1. go to the mall to play with the puppies at the pet store, and 2. go out for Chinese.

I try to incorporate some simple family traditions as well. Although I don't make pancakes for breakfast on Sunday, I do usually make them for dinner. Ok, sometimes I make waffles or french toast. Be prepared for pancakes or breakfast for dinner if you get an invite to dinner on Sundays!

A few months ago we started a Netflix subscription. LOVE IT! And with that subscription a new family tradition was born. Each week Chris and I each pick out a movie (we alternate) - one a family friendly movie and one a date night movie. On Friday night, the children and Chris and I snuggle up on the couch and watch a movie. We totally junk-food it out, too. Brownies, cookies, Rice Krispie treats, Jell-O - all staples for movie night! I look forward to Fridays all week long!

Saturdays are our date nights. We tuck the children in bed and then pull out the movie. While I'm setting up the movie, Chris is usually at the corner store stocking up on . . . beef jerky and Coke. Seriously. He gets these huge pieces of jerky and big cups of Coke. Sometimes he'll surprise me with a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup. So, with our treats in hand, we watch our movie. The house is quiet, the children are sleeping. All is good.

So, what are your family traditions?

3 comments:

mad white woman said...

You ate 21 pancakes? I didn't realize you were such a pig.

Our family traditions include: getting out of bed every morning, turning the house into a giant mess and waiting weeks before doing a load of laundry. :)

Julie said...

Saturday mornings at our house are dad's turn to make breakfast. On "special" nights our kids get to sleep on the hide-a-bed downstairs and watch a movie. They love it.

I guess most of our traditions are holidays--or its probably more that I can't think right now!

Cook Zoo said...

21 pancakes!!! That's a record I WON'T be trying to beat! ;) My parents were divorced, so the traditions were different in each household. My dad wasn't much into holidays, but he did love New Year's Eve. Every year he'd make "foo foo" (his word for hor dourves) and we would tease him about calling it "foo foo." You could always count on plenty of foo foo (shrimp was a must), the never-ending Monopoly game, and banging pots and pans at midnight.