Friday, November 7, 2008

Thanksgiving/Fall Ideas

Ok, iheartmesa has challenged/tagged us to give some Thanksgiving/Fall ideas. This is hard for me because where are the piles of raked leaves for us to jump in? How about the chilly gray days that threaten of snow? How can I make Thanksgiving/Fall more fall-like while living in Arizona?

Last year, the day after Thanksgiving, my little family and I took a short day trip up to Payson. We visited the fish hatchery, fed the fish, and just hung around outside for a good portion of the day. It was cold and we were all bundled up. There were trees everywhere and it was just beautiful outside. I needed the colder weather to get me in the mood of fall and the upcoming winter. It was a simple little trip. We ate at a McDonald's in Payson - they had antler chandeliers there. It felt woodsy and naturey and cozy. We plan on making this little trip a tradition to get us in the fall/holiday mood.

From iheartmesa.blogspot.com:

Rule #1 - Go to your blog. Make a Thanksgiving/Fall idea blog post. This can be anything from budget savvy decorations, family loved recipes, family traditions, crafts...basically anything that makes your Thanksgiving/Fall a little more special. Your name doesn't have to be Martha to participate. These are practical ideas that work for the average person. Example: Maybe you want to make a blog post about the cute pumpkin topiary you made or the yearly Thanksgiving races that your family has at the park where the kids win quarters.

Rule #2 - After writing your post, make sure to include the rules. Copy and paste rules #1, #2, #3, and #4 so your readers know what to do. Then add the lovely birdy button to your post (by copy/pasting the code in that box at the bottom of this post). This will link your readers back to i heart mesa so they can view the web of ideas.

Rule #3 - Go to iheartmesa.blogspot.com to let them know you have participated. Leave a comment with your blog address. iheartmesa will then keep a running list of everyone who has participated. This way, when you click on the lovely little button (made by a lovely graphic designer) you will get a list filled with links to VALUABLE ideas and fun blogs.

Rule #4 - Click on the cute button often to get the latest updates of ideas, to be inspired, and then go and make your Thanksgiving/Fall that much more awesome.

***You don't have to be a Mesa resident to participate, you just have to have one simple idea that preferably works for those living in Arizona. If you have many ideas, great! Make several posts and participate many times.

Now for you hesitant Helens: I've been to many of your blogs. I have been impressed with the amount of talent and ideas that people have right here in the valley. Besides, you all come from a huge variety of backgrounds. Just think about the mass of ideas just waiting to be shared. Plus, it's like free advertising for your blog. Now let the TAGGING begin. GO!

5 comments:

Deb said...

I like your soon to be Payson trip thing.

I'm going to start the tradition of having my kids make their own Thanksgiving placemats either on or the day before thanksgiving. We just started last year and they thought it was way fun.

Deb said...

Wow I need to go to bed. That first sentence I wrote was not even close to what I meant to say. I meant to say that I liked the Payson trip idea that will soon be your family tradition.

Julie said...

Deb is funny. . . I like your trip idea. The thing I like the most is that its SIMPLE. There is nothing crazy that packs your day full of running around. There isn't huge costs involved. Its just time together. I'd like to have a few more Thanksgiving traditions. . . but I want to keep them simple where they don't take away from my time as family (to prepare and run around for them) but rather add to it. Thanks!

P.S. Were you sick yesterday? Out of town?

Cook Zoo said...

I like your trip idea too. My thankgiving tradition is counting down the days till January. Does that count? (Bah humbug!) ;)

Christina said...

I love your trip idea. It sounds simply fun. We don't have too many traditions but I need to work on that. One thing is that we decorate. I have some pilgrim pictures and I really want to check the library or purchase "An old fashioned Thanksgiving" by Louisa May Alcott to read to the kids. We seem to have the same traditions with a lot of holidays. Decorations, a book that relates and I love to make a meal or dessert that goes with the book if I can. We are also thinking of driving up Mt. Lemon to get into that fall spirit!!