As I was on the way to vote today I had a memory of when I was younger and in elementary school. Back in the day, our elementary school in PA was the polling place. I remember vividly the hallways of my elementary school being crowded with polling booths. I remember the curtains for each "stall." I remember seeing the adults' shoes poking out as they were taking their time behind the curtains to vote.
But what I remembered most was the feeling of giddiness that came with that day. For that day was the day of the bake sale! Not only were the hallways crowded with voters, but there were also tables set up with baked goods to be sold. I was always sent to school with a bit of money to buy myself a giant brownie or a giant rice krispy treat.
So, I guess I equate voting with that memory - of the almost electricity charged atmosphere mingled with the anticipation of a baked good. It turns out it's a good memory and so my memories and thoughts of voting are positive.
This year, however, I have been dreading voting (if I want a baked good I'd either have to buy one - and it wouldn't be homemade - or make one) mostly because of the scare put into me that the lines will be terribly long. I'm imagining standing in line with my children for at least two hours. I imagine that just as we are about to vote, one of my kids throws up or something and we have to leave without voting after waiting in line for 2 hours.
Then I had an offer (or two) to watch my children while I went to vote. I considered it. Then I thought about leaving my children with someone for 2 hours. They'd probably never babysit for me again. But I needed to vote, so I took a friend up on her offer to watch my two boys. And off I went to wait in the lines.
I get to the church. The parking lot is almost empty. Where's the line? Am I at the wrong place? Nope. I had hit a lull. There was no line. I just walked in, got my ballot and was in and out in about 7 minutes.
6 years ago
9 comments:
Yeah Roccy!!! How long did it take to fill in your vote for Ralph Nader??? :)
I get dibs on being the next person to watch your kiddos...
I want to bake sale when I vote!!
I voted early with the mail in one. I am sad now because I hear you can take your sticker to krispy kreme and get a free donut!
Count your blessings!
For the primaries I couldn't make it over to vote until the afternoon. There was no where to park. I squeezed in a place that was not make for a vehicle my size. My kids could barely get out of the car.
Yes, my kids were with me. All three of them. THREE. . . because I was nine months pregnant with Sophie. We waited for 2 1/2 hours. Three kids running crazy, bored, hungry. Luckily I hade some smushed package of crackers in my purse that they split amoung them.
Also, lucky for me there were several members of the ward near me in line and took sympathy upon me and helped with my kids--particularly when each one had to take their seperate trip to the bathroom!
Meanwhile my legs are burning from standing with 40 pounds extra baby weight. My feet are swelling. I'm trying to smile and think about some lady in Saudi Arabia that can't even vote.
Its getting cold because the sun is going down. Another thing for my kids to complain about. We make it in the building. . . more snake lines, but luckily there are toys from the church nursery. I vaguely think about all the germs on them and the Sunday School lady that would be made to see my kids playing with them but I quickly dismiss the idea for a few moments of no complaining.
I finally vote and head home to my husband who had also barely got home. There is nothing for dinner. There are only tired kids. And it was our anniversary. . .
I forgot to add that I did a mail-in ballot this time. . .
Ok, I think you got me beat on the primaries. My primaries experience - waited in insane lines (with my kids). They were cranky, it was stuffy and hot in that little church. We waited and waited and waited. I get to the front of the line, hand them my license and guess what? It still had my OLD address on it. They asked for another form of ID. I gave them a form that the voter registration sent to ME, but they said it wasn't a valid form of ID. They ask for something else - a utility bill with my name and address on it. But guess what? EVERYTHING is in Chris's name (cuz I don't work and don't have an income). We waited FOREVER to get to the front of the line only to be turned away. I walked away in tears. Sorry Mitt!!
It's your lucky day! Because I'm having a bake sale TODAY. Not only is it homemade, but it's free! :)
Except for you, since it's all your fault Romney isn't the Republican candidate.
How funny! I remember those booths in my Elementary school too. I don't remember the bake sale though. Too bad!
I just walked right in too. I took my kids with me just to reinforce the importance of voting, but they're older so it's not that big of a deal. And I had halloween candy in lieu of baked goods. As long as sugar is involved, all is well. ;)
I got up and went at 6:15 so Ian could stay home with the kids. The whole process of driving there, voting, and coming home took an hour. When Ian went half an hour after I got home he barely had to wait. I think when I went everyone was trying to go before work. When he went everyone was at work. I saw on T.V. that the majority of voters went between 6-10 a.m. this year.
Starbucks was offering free coffee to voters, so I called them to see if I could worm a free hot chocolate out of them instead (I love their hot chocolate) and they said no. ):
I think from now on I'll sign up to vote by mail.
Post a Comment