
Nothing quite says Happy Independence Day like a good parade. It's podunk-ville out here. Really. There is one stop sign in the town (I don't even know if it's even a town) and be careful not to blink as you're driving through or you might just miss the town! But, these residents can put on a parade. It's been classified the "Redneck Parade." And for good reason.
Maybe I should explain - this area - Northeast Pennsylvania, to be exact, has been known (infamously?) for its redneck-tendencies. I went to a high school that had a rifle team. That required students to bring guns to school. Also, since so many people hunted we were given the Monday after Thanksgiving off of school (beginning of deer season, doncha know?). A good time meant four-wheelin' up Campbell's Ledge or just four-wheelin' anywhere. I took auto shop in high school.
But it's more than that. I grew up with friends who volunteered at the fire companies. There are only volunteer fire companies around here. That means they don't get paid to run into burning buildings. It also means that when I was out with friends that were volunteers at any time they could get a call that required them to just up and leave to do a variety of duties - EMT, ambulance driver, fire fighter, etc. Often they'd get called out in the middle of the workday and they'd have to leave then and there and miss out on part of their paycheck because they were out saving lives. These are the people I grew up with. This is why I love this area and these people.
Anyway - I just wanted to say that there's just this whole culture and attitude out here. It's hard to describe. Redneck, perhaps. Hicks, sure. But really, just great people willing to risk it all for their neighbors.
So, on the 4th of July this little community puts on a Redneck Parade. The kids, my parents and I rode down to the end of the driveway on the Mule, put the flag up and waited anxiously for the parade to approach.

The parade starts!

Notice the guy on the jeep - shirtless, holding a gun. Does it get any more redneck than that? Actually, it does. Just before this video I took some video (that's poor quality so I won't be posting it) of someone driving a float that was passing a beer back to someone else. Plus, there was one float made entirely of Bud Lite cans.
6 comments:
That looks like a sweet parade! My dad would fit right in. Of course he gets plenty of that Whiskey Tango action living in Taylor, AZ.
We are glad we ran ask you blog via Travis and Marie. Next time we are in the valley we should try and get together!
Later,
Conan Beach
Hilbilly/Hick/Redneck towns are the best. It looks like you all had lots of fun. Happy Fourth!
Oh, fantastic. Okay, I love that first person's comment... b/c we just got home from Taylor and I was thinking how many similarities there were between your descriptions and Taylor. Ha ha. Except the whole volunteering thing, that's actually kind of cool
Yeah Baby! I love the parade! It may be hick-ville but that was a nice jeep. Plus, you took auto shop class? That's so cool. I might need you to show me a thing or two. I'm so helpless with things like that. Sounds like you had a great day and a COOL 4th.
I think that's cool! Your whole description made me think of The Rescue by Nicolas Sparks, partly because of the firefighter thing, and partly because of that deep sense of community. We really miss out on that living in the city.
yep rox,
we are moving into the wilderness! (aka. queencreek)
Post a Comment