Thursday, July 31, 2008

The Art of Boredom - Part 2 (Boredom Series)

I'll admit . . . I get bored frequently. I have time to get bored. I really do. I'm a simple mom. I don't have a list of "to do's" because it'd be empty. My "to do's" are things like, "get up in the morning, make breakfast, take a shower, etc." Once in a while I run to the grocery store or take the kids on a little field trip. But most of my filler is spent on "down time." I've realized in my life that "must do's" are just that - I must do these things in order to survive - eating, sleeping, etc. Every thing else is optional.

And I'm happy this way. On days when I am running around I get a little crazy. Or a lot crazy. I need my down time and replenishing/recuperating time like I need to eat, like I need to sleep.

I remember going to girls' camp when I was a youth and every single minute was accounted for with some mindless (and yes, it was mindless!) activity. I hated it. Loathed it. Detested it. I couldn't get one minute where I could just sit and reflect and put into perspective all that was going on around me. I wanted to stop and take in nature. I wanted to stop and smell the roses. Instead, we were herded along as quickly as possible to the next activity. "But what about the journey?" I thought. I thought it was about the journey, not the destination.

I understand that most people aren't like me. But I think that there are a few out there.

What do you do when you are bored? How about your children? Do you reach for the remote? Turn on the radio? Pick up the phone? Create errands to run? Perhaps you don't feel like you are ever bored. Instead you are always on the run . . . always doing something.

Sit still for a minute. Sit still for five minutes. Let your mind go where it wants. Are you bored yet? Yes? Good . . . keep going. Sit still for longer than that. Just be.

How are we to listen to our inner self and inspiration and revelation from above when we are being bombarded by "to do" lists, when the TV is distracting us, when the radio is talking to us, when we are running errand after errand taking the children in and out of the car? When do our children learn to listen to their inner selves when they are being herded here and there and being rushed? When is there ever a moment that we can all just be still and be open to the promptings of Deity? Would our children even recognize the sound of inspiration and revelation or is everything around them too noisy and busy?

There is a place for boredom. It doesn't have to mean not being productive. Productivity cannot happen all of the time. Everything has its antithesis. Boredom is the antithesis of productivity - but they both have an important and vital role. Perhaps all along we thought we were being productive and busy and never took a moment to just be. But perhaps by not taking that moment to just be, we never were blessed with some sort of inspiration that would make our lives richer and fuller and even more productive. Being bored, or as I like to call it - having down time, is a rejuvenator and opens our minds to things that we missed previously due to our busy-ness and the distractions around us.

This is my challenge: Become one with the art of boredom. Be bored! I dare you!!

3 comments:

Julie said...

What a great perspective--especially as school is starting soon. Thanks for sharing!

Cook Zoo said...

Another great post! I can't wait for part 3. :) I'm pretty good about making sure my kids have down time, but I'm still learning to do that for myself. There's always some project to work on and always something for my brain to be thinking about. (When I come over I'll have to tell you about my new routine - you'd be proud of me!) :) I remember going to girls camp for the first time as a leader, and being disappointed that it was so busy. I thought the whole point of going to the woods was to slow down and reflect. I remember the stake leaders being worried that the girls would get bored if it wasn't that structured. But as you say, that would be a good thing.

Deb said...

great posts. I agree with everything you have to say. I'm bored all the time, but I have a real hard time just having quiet. I always want to have some noise in the background. When I'm bored I tend to reach for the remote, which isn't good.