I don't like cooking in the summer. It's way too hot. So, I thought I'd share a few of my favorite summertime meals that take little-to-no cooking with heat.
1. Salad bar - it's exactly what it sounds like. Put your lettuce in one bowl and have a variety of add-ons that you can pick and choose from. This is fun because it's really like you're at a salad bar and the kids dig picking out exactly what they want on their salad. Some of ideas for add-ons: bacon bits, croutons, baby corn, chick peas, sliced pickled beats, tomatoes, cucumbers, broccoli, cheese, peppers, etc.
2. Pancakes and Smoothies - cooking on the griddle doesn't seem as bad as having the oven on. Quick healthy whole wheat pancake recipe: 1 cup whole wheat flour, 3 tsp baking powder, 1 cup milk, 1-2 eggs (up to you!), 2 TBS oil. In mixing bowl combine flour and baking powder. Make a well in the center. In a separate bowl, mix the milk, egg(s) and oil. Add wet mixture to dry mixture. Stir until smooth. Spoon onto hot griddle.
Smoothie recipe - 1 cup frozen mixed berries, 1/2 cup banana strawberry yogurt, 1/4 cup frozen orange juice concentrate, 2 cups milk. Blend until smooth.
3. Fruit salad and Cinnamon Toast - not only don't I like cooking heavy meals in the summer, but I don't even like eating heavy meals in the summer. Pot roast when it's 110 out? No thanks. Put together a fresh fruit salad. Serve with a side of cinnamon sugar toast.
4. Pasta Salad - This does require you to cook noodles on the stove. Cook and drain noodles. Add things like carrots, broccoli, tomatoes, cucumbers, chick peas, olives. Meat it up by adding pepperoni or cubed ham. Pour your favorite salad dressing over to coat to taste.
Do you have any favorite summertime meals?
6 years ago
4 comments:
My summer meal: one that someone else makes. :) We eat watermelon and toast, which is no different than your #3, but still, we eat it. Hmmm, grilling is always nice (kabobs especially). Sandwiches. Mmmm, now I'm hungry.
My FAVORITE cold meal is turkey wraps! We take a flour tortilla, spread cream cheese VERY THIN, then put turkey slices, havarti cheese, spinach leaves, tomato slices, and just a shake of salt. Roll it up and eat! They are awfully good. We seal them up in tin foil and pack them for picnics too. For some reason they get less soggy than sandwiches.
I love cooking light in the summer but it's something my father-in-law just won't have...no chicken or rice! Yeah it makes things quite difficult. Those are great suggestions that I will definitely have to try (once we have our own place).
My very favorite light summer meal is Pesto chicken. You do have to grill up some chicken (but the hubby does that), boil some penne noodles and then add some pesto sauce and dice up some roma tomatoes. It's a super fast, light and delicious meal.
Mmmmmmmm, those meals sound right up my alley. I know what I'm cooking for dinner now next week. Especially the salad bar. I love salad bars, but never thought about having one at home. Awesome!
Our favorite things to have in the summer are chicken salad sandwiches on criossants (sp?) and also BLT's on criossants. And I have an awesome recipe for Mexica cesaer salad tacos that we have and they're vegetarian so you don't do any meat cooking at all. As soon as I find the recipe I'll email it to you. I've been looking for it myself and haven't been able to find it. We also have tortellini alot, because it boils in water in only five minutes, so the heat isn't on long. And then just dump sauce on top.
Post a Comment