That is the question.
I've been debating getting a membership at Costco. I guess I should just go down there sometime and wander the store (do they allow that?) to see if a membership would be worth it.
My concerns are thus:
With the cost of the membership ($50 smackaroos) will I still be saving money? I don't want to shell out $50 and have it not be worth it. Sure, cheese is cheaper, but add in the cost of the membership and what do I have? That's right . . . really expensive cheese.
I typically shop generic. I hardly get any brand name stuff (unless it's on sale for less than the generic). So, telling me that they have a really great price on Quaker oatmeal does me no good because I can get generic oatmeal at WalMart for a whole lot less than the great deal Costco might have on Quaker oatmeal. And even if I buy the Costco brand, is it cheaper than WalMart's brand? Remember I still have to figure in the cost of membership . . .
There are a few "brand name" items that I get. I'm thinking that getting them at Costco would offer a savings . . . but how much? Does that savings take into account the membership fee?
I'm not interested in anything else Costco has to offer. Don't care about the big screen tv's or the clothes they might have. I just want to save money on the stuff I already get.
What are your thoughts/experiences with Costco? Do you feel your membership is worth it? Do you have a magical formula that I could use to figure out if it's worth it?
6 years ago
8 comments:
I always have that same debate whenever I get a membership. There are certain things that I buy there that I think are definitely cheaper if they are things you buy consistently, like frozen chicken, or frozen blueberries/fruit and veggies. The size of frozen fruit bag you get for the price - can't be beat. We eat frozen blueberries on our cereal daily so we'd probably make up the $50 right there. Also butter, milk cheese and bread are a really good deal. My only problem is I don't like going to two different stores and sometimes I can't afford to buy in bulk. I now it's cheaper in the long run, but I don't always have the money up front for it. If you usually buy these things two at a time (milk, eggs bread, etc.) Then it's probably worth it.
butter is a good deal too.
Ahem. You can come to Costco with me whenever you want.
Here's my short answer: a.) yes you'll save money, even factoring the cost of the membership and b.) I don't save money because I buy things I don't need (but that I really, really want). Invite me over for cookies and hot chocolate and I will give you the long answer.
PS I thought of you all day today thinking I was so glad it rained all day just for you. I'm sure you loved it.
Yup. Before I felt sure about getting a membership of my own, I just went with my parents ALL the time. Mooching off someone else's memebership is the PERFECT way to take advantage of the bulk deals, but don't spend the $50. After a while, you'll be able to decide whether you want to invest or not.
Also, Costco sells generic too! It's "Kirkland" and it's good stuff.
Their fruit can't be beat. It is so yummy! I feel like the cheese, eggs and butter are worth it to me. We eat a lot of cheese. We go through 5 lbs in a couple of weeks. That is for cooking and snacking, I don't get the shredded cheese. Their clothes are inexpensive and good quality.
I will take you too if you want to go try it out!
Okay, let me lay it out here. . . I'm seriously considering letting my Costco membership expire. I have a love/hate relationship with the place. Yes, their meat and produce can't be beat when it comes to quality (seasonal strawberries are TO DIE FOR). But its not the cheapest. So it comes down to whether you want the better price or the better product. I go back and forth.
I think most of their items don't even begin to come close in cost. Lately I've been couponing, price matching, and buying generic and there are very few items I can now justify at Costco--chicken nuggets and frozen chicken are a couple. I can't even get my laundry detergent there anymore because I can get it cheaper on sales combined with coupons. Which brings me to the debate you're having--am I saving any money after I've bought the membership?
We have purchased a TV there. Every once in a while I come away with some really cool random item. And let me say they are pretty cool--but am I just spending extra money or really "saving?"
I will say the gas is a major point in favor of Costco. No one beats their gas prices. If you could regularly fill up there (I'm not saying always fill up there but just do it on a semi-regular basis) then you could probably justify the membership. The problem is I never plan to be near Costco when I need gas. If I worked that one out ahead of time maybe I could justify keeping the membership.
Well, I have three months to decide for sure but right now I may have to let it go. Let me know what you decide.
You should call Katie and ask her about this. She has a membership and absolutely loves it.
I know this is an old post, but yes you can go in there and wander around. Say you're going to the pharmacy, cuz you don't need a membership to do that. Long ago I went by myself and spent some time writing down prices of things I'd normally buy to see if it was worth it. There have been times when we've had it and times when we haven't. I have found it's hard to take advantage of on a very small budget, because a few items add up fast. So it works best for me when I have the funds to stock up. I think the best thing is to go and look around, then go a few times on someone else's card. You'll know soon enough if it's worth it. :)
Post a Comment