Monday, July 20, 2009

A Little Perspective, Please

When my dad was a little shaver, he and his brother used to spend Saturdays at the movies. Popcorn and lemon drops were their favorite treats. So, movies were a big part of my dad's early years. I don't recall how much a movie (sometimes a double feature) and popcorn cost, but I remember him telling me it was like 25 cents (maybe less) for EVERYTHING.

While I was in Pennsylvania my dad and I got to go out on a date. We decided on seeing the new Star Trek movie (loved it!). My dad being the gentleman he is, paid for the movie AND for the popcorn and Milk Duds. We had a grand time. I can't remember the last time I went to see an "adult" movie. No cartoons, no fart jokes, it was great!

Later that day my dad declares, "I could have gone to the movies 75 times when I was little for the amount that we spent today at the movies." Did I mention that we got a small popcorn and saw a matinee?

How times change. Now going to the movies is a rare rare treat - one to be afforded by the affluent, it seems. Paying for a movie, treats AND a babysitter - you easily drop $50.00 on the experience - and you're never guaranteed that the movie will be any good anyway.

This summer, while we're in AZ, I have implemented a "movie day." This day is usually Tuesday because Tuesday is the true "dollar day" at the dollar theater (instead of $2.00 on other days). We make treats at home and smuggle them into the theater (I'm at least subtle about it - last week I saw a lady bringing in grocery bags of potato chips and a bulging backpack filled with treats). It's cool and entertaining and my kids are introduced to the art of movies. When we've seen all the movies at the dollar theater, we'll hunker down at our house, black out the windows and go crazy with Netflix.

Not the same as in my dad's day, but perhaps a little taste of "the good old days."

4 comments:

Julie said...

That's funny. Just yesterday I was looking up what was playing at the dollar theater. Is it crowded on Tuesdays? Would the extra dollar be worth avoiding the crowds? I was hoping Night at the Museum would be playing there soon. If you are looking for company send a holler my way!

P.S. I love your daddy/daughter date!

mad white woman said...

I must be affluent b/c we have gone to the movies a lot lately. Three to be exact. Oh wait, all three times it was free. I like movies, but it's hard to find good movies these days.

Kelly Cameron said...

Fabulous. Movie days are so fun and it's terrific that you guys make your own treats -that's double fun to look forward to! My sister made homemade trail mix for her six kids when we all flew up to Alaska. I was inspired by her creative reinvention of an old staple. She added pretzels and some fun cereal as well as the mixed nuts, raisins and m&ms. Kids remember your cool ideas -they'll be giving you hugs forever, "Thanks, Mom, for being so great!" You go, Roccy!

Cook Zoo said...

Oooh, I didn't know Tuesday was an actual dollar day! We may have to check that out! :)