Wednesday, July 22, 2009

My Crumbs

"For happiness and sanity's sake, rejoice in the crumbs when you can't have the cake" ~ my mother.

We all know that living in Arizona is a struggle for me. I miss the trees, the nature, and most of all my parents. However, when applying my mom's word of wisdom to my struggles, I realize that although I don't have the cake, I do have quite a few crumbs! I would rather the cake, but I do need to acknowledge my crumbs and realize it could be a whole lot worse.

Crumb 1. Amenities. I may not be able to open my back door and be greeted by a nature paradise. My children may not be able to swing on swings or climb trees or feed the frogs in the pond, but we have quite a few amenities at our fingertips. This summer I bought a family pool pass to the local community pool that is a mere 8 minutes away. So, most afternoons that's where we are!

Not only that but we have a selection of grocery stores, malls, and movie theaters within minutes of where we live. In PA, it took at least 15 minutes to get to the nearest grocery store. Church was 45 minutes away. I'd gladly trade in AZ for PA, but I can't deny the blessings of having quite a few amenities at my fingertips.

Crumb 2. Friends. I'm not saying I don't have friends in PA, because I do. But they don't live close. I am grateful for my friends and my children's friends who live in our neighborhood or just up the road.

Crumb 3. School. This is the biggest crumb for me - my children's elementary school. I could not ask for a greater school. So far their experiences in school have been absolutely positive. The teachers and staff are kind, parental involvement is strongly encouraged and rarely do you hear of a mean teacher. I remember having quite a few mean teachers in my day. I remember dreading school. I am so grateful this is not the case for my children.

Crumb 4. A Little Family. Like I said before, I'd drop AZ in a heartbeat if I could. HOWEVER, I am grateful for the time I get with my sweet little family - just us, clinging to each other and experiencing life as a family. Not only that, but we also do have other family that we're blessed with. My brother lives only 45 minutes away and although we don't see him all that often, he always makes time for holidays and birthdays. What a sweet gift it is to have him here on those special days. In addition to my brother, we are blessed with friends that Chris grew up with. They, too, live 45 minutes away, but we've been able to get together frequently and make that connection. It's also been a comfort to know that my aunties in California are a day (or two) drive away. Having these friends and family near helps make me not feel so lonely and isolated from the people that know me best.

Rejoice in the crumbs, indeed.

4 comments:

Julie said...

Roccy, you're the coolest.

Now I feel like cake. . .

Cook Zoo said...

Your crumbs rock. And I'm glad you're here instead of there.

mad white woman said...

Wait, would you rather live in PA or AZ? Not sure that part was clear... :)

Definitely words of wisdom.

PS When Clara sees kangaroos she says, "Look! Kangaroo like at my friend's house, my friend 'Rocky's' house".

Christina said...

I loved reading this and especially your Mother's wisdom. I have been feeling like I need to do a blessing count lately and this makes me want to do it more!:) You are such a great person!:)