Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Movie Review: Definitely, Maybe

We've gotten a Netflix subscription. Yay! This past weekend we watched Definitely, Maybe.

http://images.teamsugar.com/files/upl0/16/161593/13_2008/definitely_maybe.jpg

Now, it says that it is a romantic comedy. However, I beg to differ. I could have cried throughout the entire movie. There were a few funny one-liners - maybe two at the most. But not the laugh out loud lines you would expect from a romantic comedy - just the chuckle to yourself kind of lines. So, to tout this movie as a romantic comedy is misleading.

I like the delivery of the story. The main character (William Hayes) played by Ryan Reynolds (yes, he's kinda cute) tells his 11-year old daughter about how he met her mother (they are now going through a divorce and Maya - his daughter - thinks that by knowing the story of how they met and fell in love would help her through this familial transition). So, Will Hayes relays the story to her. This story includes three women - but who is Maya's mother? Will has changed the names of the characters in the story so that Maya (and the audience) doesn't know until the very end who her mother is in the story. Is that confusing?

Anyway . . . a romantic story - yes, a comedy - definitely, maybe NOT. Really it should have been labeled as a tear-jerker or a tug-at-your-heartstrings movie.

I'm on the fence with this one. Do I give it thumbs up or down? I initially gave it thumbs down because it made me cry. To me being entertained does NOT include tears. I'd also give it a thumbs down because it was not funny (did I mention the tears?). But truthfully, the story was sweet and I enjoyed its delivery.

One thumb up and one thumb down.

3 comments:

Julie said...

Okay, we are always looking for good movies so let us know if you find one you really like. Ryan hates wasting time in a movie he doesn't like. He's so picky so I'm always looking for opinons.

Cook Zoo said...

I don't mind if a movie makes me cry, so I might like this one. ;)

Deb said...

I'm with you, crying is not my kind of entertainment. I know now to stay away from that one. We have Netflix too. I love it. I look for to our weekend movie dates (at home).

I watched(Ian wouldn't watch it with me)No Reservations with Kathrine Zeta Jones and I had the same issues with it. It was listed romantic comedy, but I cried more than I laughed. It was not a laugh out loud movie.