For that day I decided to write down everything I did do. Everything! I think once in a while we need to give ourselves credit for the everyday things. They certainly add up. I must say that when I went to bed last night I felt good about myself. I felt good that even without a "to-do" list my days are full and I am productive even if I don't feel like it sometimes. I need to give myself credit!
Here's my "What I Did" list for Thursday:
- Finished a book
- Played a game with Jonathan
- Cleaned the kitchen
- Helped Jonathan clean the family room
- Took a shower
- Tidied the front room
- Made breakfast
- Made lunch
- Helped Jonathan clean his room
- Talked to Mom on the phone
- Talked to Amy on the phone
- Got the kids from the bus stop and got the mail
- Prepared dinner
- Visited with Amy
- Went to a church activity (with Amy!)
- Washed the dinner dishes
- Read scriptures
- Tucked Colt in (we visited for a while just chatting)
- Cleaned the small bathroom
- Internet time
- Set Colt's clothes out for the next day
4 comments:
Yikes! That ended up being a little too much Amy for one day... sorry!
Good job on the rest of it!
Good idea. Although I'm kind of glad I didn't make such a list today because I'd probably be depressed seeing how much of my list said "worked" compared to everything else.
I love the idea of a "what I did" list. Sometimes we get too focused on what we didn't do. Or maybe that's just me. ;)
I love that post. I think stay at home moms expect to get a bunch of things done in a day just because they are home and forget that just doing your job as a mom pretty much takes up your entire day.
By the time you get kids (and occasionally yourself) ready, make meals, feed a family and clean up three meals, do the basics (make bed, load of laundry, mail, clean something, keep house picked up) help kids with chores and homework and spend some quality time with them, your day is gone. All that work doesn't really leave too much time for projects. And I didn't even add exercise or scripture reading or fullfilling callings to the list.
I try to make myself feel better about not getting projects or extra stuff done each day (heck I can barely get the daily stuff I listed done) by reminding myself that it's my job to do those things and it's good that list fills up my day. People who have jobs outside the home don't work on scrapbooking while on the job. (not that I'm saying it's not okay to work on projects while at home with kids during the day, it's one of the perks of working at home:)
I actually learned that lesson from you a long time ago when we first started blogging. I think it was either a post you did or maybe a comment you left on Julie's "to do list" post. Can't remember. But you made me feel good to know that just fullfilling (I think I keep spelling that work wrong) our job as a mom is a lot to do in a day and we should give ourselves credit for it and not worry about all that other stuff we don't get done.
Sorry that was like a total novel. Just thought I would let you know about the little lesson you taught me about two years ago.
Post a Comment