
I remember being woken by the phone ringing 8 years ago and Chris telling me that the U.S. was under attack. Heroes died that day and heroes were born. That day spurred many into action. I can't talk too much about it without getting choked up.
Each year the children's elementary school has a flag raising ceremony on this day. Each year I go and I always cry. Watching the flag reach the top of the pole only to be pulled back down to half staff is heartbreaking.
The students sing patriotic songs. This year the first and second graders were in charge of singing, "America, (My Country Tis of Thee)." Colt has been practicing singing this at home for the past few weeks singing, "Sweet land of liverty" instead of "liberty." Gives me a chuckle. As I watched them sing today around the flag pole at school I noticed that pretty much ALL of the kids sang, "liverty" instead of "liberty."
Sweet precious children. Thank the heroes for protecting them.
3 comments:
I think we will all remember exactly where we were when we heard about that day. Just thinking about it gives me chills up my spine. I sat in front of the TV all day. Ryan's law school classes were cancelled. He came home early and spent time with us. That night when I put Riley into bed I gave her an extra kiss and was more thankful for all I had. Its sad that it takes something like that for us to take a step back sometimes.
Thanks for your thoughts.
Amen.
We were talking to our kids about what that day was like and I thought to myself, "They can't understand what it was really like without going through something like that themselves."
I hope they never do.
Ditto Julie. I will remember that day perfectly, forever. I had to go to work that day and everyone at work was completely silent all day. We did nothing but listen to the radio as we worked and mourned over what was going on.
I wish I would have gone to the flag ceremony. Although it's probably better that I didn't. Just watching the fire works on the fourth of July makes me ball like a baby.
Post a Comment