Saturday, June 6, 2009

OK,I Lied. One More Post (still without pictures)

Lately, I've been thinking about goals. And I've been feeling badly. I stink at goals. I'm fairly good at setting them, but horrible at accomplishing them. People all around me set goals and accomplish them. How do you do it? I try to set reasonable goals - not impossible ones but still . . . I can't accomplish them.

What's your secret? Is there a secret? How can I accomplish my goals?

My friend Amy recently posted this quote on her blog: "Excuses are tools of the weak, and I will not use them." I'm thinking that will be my motto when approaching goals.

Ok, what I really need here is some advice for those of you who can set and accomplish goals. Little goals, big goals, you name it, I need some advice!

5 comments:

Amy from Our Dish said...

MAN! You're gone already??? I didn't even say goodbye. (Sorry)

About them goals, it usually helps me if I plan little rewards for myself. A form of self-bribery. Cuz I'm immature like that.

Cook Zoo said...

I say amen to both those suggestions and add this one: don't expect perfection. If your goal is to do such and such every day and you miss a day, it's totally okay. If we beat ourselves up and get discouraged, that's a guaranteed way not to meet your goal. If you're working on a big goal, break it down into smaller goals that you can work on one or two manageable steps at a time. Remind yourself of your progress too. Good luck!

kansas23 said...

Just tell yourself you can do anything. The process of accomplishing a goal is never as daunting as we make it. Example: I have a goal to run for 45 mins. Right when I think I'm about to die (about 15 mins in), I just remind myself that I can do anything for 30 more mins. Anything. And I never die after I accomplish one goal, so that's encouragement to tackle the next :) Just don't make a huge deal out of completing a goal, and it will seem much more attainable. Mind over matter!

tracinell said...

Helen Keller: Many persons have the wrong idea of what constitutes true happiness. It is not attained through self-gratification but through fidelity to a worthy purpose.

Be fidelis to a purpose, not a goal. Whether achieved or not, goals end, purposes do not.

Yeah...I know. I shouldn't make comments during my Esoterical Cycle.

mad white woman said...

LIAR!

You should do a year of discipline with me. It's way easier to focus on one thing at a time for a short amount of time and then a habit forms. Trust me, I'll basically be perfect in a year.